Best Peloton workouts for weight loss
Anyone who is serious about their health and fitness has probably heard of the Peloton Bike, Bike+, Tread or Rower. All 4 pieces of equipment are designed to be used with the Peloton all-access membership. Even if you don’t have the Peloton bike, Tread or Rower, you can still pair your non Peloton equipment with the Peloton digital app. Both the Peloton all-access membership and the Peloton digital app give you access to 1000s of workouts that can be done on the bike/ tread/ rower or off the bike/ tread/ rower. However if you have purchased the Peloton all-access membership or the Peloton digital app to help you lose weight, you might be overwhelmed by the choice of workouts on offer. Navigating your way around the massive library of workouts can get a bit overwhelming to say the least. In this article I’ll talk about the best Peloton workouts for weight loss that I’ve tried.
First up – can you lose weight with Peloton?
Obviously weight loss or at least weight maintenance is a big reason why people are so heavily invested in Peloton. But have you ever heard the expression “you can’t outrun the fork”? In other words, you won’t lose weight by Peloton alone if you are consuming too many calories. It’s far easier to just not eat the extra 500 calories than to try and burn them off.
That said, Peloton cycling classes can burn around 400 to 1,000 calories an hour. So, as long as you maintain a calorie deficit, working out with Peloton classes can definitely lead to weight loss.
If you are trying to lose weight, the best Peloton workouts for weight loss will be the ones that you enjoy. Don’t just pick a workout because it is harder. I’ve found that I get a much better workout by picking workouts with music that I love and that make me excited about getting back on the bike the next day.
Best Peloton HIIT workouts for weight loss
HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts are great if you are short on time and want to maximise the amount of calories you burn in a workout. Most HIIT workouts are intended to be completed within 10 to 30 minutes making them a great workout choice if you are short on time.
HIIT workouts are so great for calorie torching and therefore weight loss because you are working out intensely (80 to 90% of your maximum heart rate) at short intervals, followed by brief rest periods. It has been proven that HIIT workouts also increase your resting metabolic rate meaning that your body continues to burn calories after the workout has finished. Additionally, the intense nature of HIIT workouts can help improve your cardiovascular fitness and endurance, which can contribute to weight loss.
What’s more, studies have shown that people enjoy HIIT workouts more than vigorous-intensity exercise or continuous moderate-intensity exercise, meaning you are more likely to stick long term to a HIIT workout routine.
With Peloton, you can do HIIT workouts on the Bike, Tread or off bike (ie on the floor).
If you’re new to HIIT workouts or unfit, I recommend starting out with 10 minute HIIT workouts and then building up from there.
Peloton offers hundreds of HIIT cardio classes that can be done without the need for much equipment. I’ve tried and loved the following Peloton HIIT cardio instructors:
- Callie Gullickson – offering beginner and intermediate HIIT cardio classes of between 10 and 30 minutes, Callie is energetic and great fun.
- Jess Sims– Jess is a Master Instructor at Peloton. Offering intermediate HIIT cardio classes of between 10 and 30 mins, Jess is known for her motivational coaching style. But don’t let her super positive, witty personality fool you. Her workouts are challenging! Interesting fact about Jess – she used to be a school teacher.
- Adrian Williams with a fun sense of humor that shines through in his workouts, Adrian’s workouts are intense yet he doesn’t seem to take himself too seriously. He also comes across as a genuinely nice guy. His classes are on the tougher side so more suitable for the intermediate level.
- Logan Aldridge is an adaptive training expert. He lost one arm in a wakeboarding accident when he was 13. This guy is seriously inspiring for both abled and disabled people alike. Offering intermediate HIIT cardio classes, I feel like I’ve always got a great workout after doing one of his classes.
Best Peloton bootcamp workout for weight loss
Peloton’s bootcamp classes combine elements of cardio, strength training and flexibility exercises. These classes can help shred fat as they combine cardio and strength for a total body workout to help you burn calories, build muscle and improve your overall fitness level.
Bootcamp workouts give you bang for your buck – they are perfect for someone who is short on time but wants to get both strength and cardio done in one quick, effective workout. They will definitely have you working up a sweat!
Bootcamps are actually a form of HIIT (high intensity interval training) which means you will still be burning calories and increasing your metabolic rate once the bootcamp is finished.
The Peloton bootcamp classes can either be done on the bike or the tread. Some of the moves you do off bike/ tread so you do need some space to be able to effectively complete them. Basically, the cardio component is done on the bike/ tread while the strength work is done on the floor. Also, you don’t just do half the workout on the bike/ tread and then move to the floor. The bootcamp breaks up the bike/ tread workout with short strength training moves on the floor.
And don’t be intimidated by the name “bootcamp”. The classes are not just for the ultra-fit. They are great for beginners too as they provide an introduction to a variety of exercises and training styles. You can choose a 30 min, 45 min, or 60 min bootcamp. The app also lets you filter by body focus (e.g. lower body, upper body).
Note that the bike bootcamp classes will require you to change your shoes for the floor work. You’ll also need a set of weights and a mat in addition to the bike or tread although some of the bootcamp classes use your bodyweight only.
I’ve tried and loved the following bike bootcamps:
- 30 min Disney Bootcamp with Cody Rigsby (recorded on 24/05/22) featuring Disney hits such as Let it Go (Frozen) and A Whole New World (Aladdin)
- 30 min Spice Girls Bootcamp with Cody Rigsby (recorded on 16/7/21) . His playlist includes the Spice Girls’ greatest hits such as Wannabe and Stop; and
- 45 min Jock Jams Bootcamp with Jess Sims (recorded on 22/03/23). Her playlist includes gems such as Salt-N-Pepa’s Push it, Black Box’s Everybody, Everybody and The Vengabus’ We like to Party!
And the following tread bootcamps are super fun:
- Saturday 60 Jock Jams with Jess Sims (recorded on 19/03/23). With a playlist like Pump Up the Jam (Technotronic, Felly) to the Village People’s YMCA I barely noticed how hard I was working during this Bootcamp
- 30 min Pop Bootcamp with Jess Sims (recorded on 18/05/22). This bootcamp has a playlist that include Beyonce and Zenday,
- 60 minute Bootcamp: Full Body with Rebecca Kennedy (recorded on 16/03/21) – although this workout is less about fun and more about working every muscle in your body. I was so sweaty after doing this bootcamp!
- 30 minute hiking bootcamp with Rebecca Kennedy (recorded on 14/04/23) (you can also do 45 minute and 60 minute hiking bootcamps). This bootcamp is great if you don’t want to run but still want some low-impact cardio with strength. You’ll still get an excellent workout as the high incline you are walking at is no joke.
Best Peloton strength training workouts for weight loss
If you’re looking to shed some pounds but dread cardio, strength training might be the ideal workout for you. Strength training involves resistance exercises using weights, and resistance bands or even just your own body weight. Strength training is often overlooked but can be highly effective for weight loss. Strength training boosts your metabolism. When you undertake strength training exercises, you’re actually breaking down muscle fibres. As your body repairs and rebuilds those fibres, it requires energy, which in turn raises your metabolic rate. This means that even after your workout is over, your body continues to burn calories, helping you to lose weight more effectively in the long run.
Apart from weight loss, strength training offers a wide range of other benefits including increased muscle strength, improved bone health, enhanced metabolism, better body composition, increased functional fitness, improved joint health and flexibility, enhanced mental well-being, reduced risk of chronic diseases, and a better overall quality of life.
And you don’t need to be super fit to start strength training. Strength training can be adapted to suit different fitness levels, from beginners to advanced exercisers, and can be customized to meet your individual needs. However if you’re new to strength training, it’s important to start with appropriate weights or resistance levels that are manageable for you, and gradually increase the intensity and volume of your workouts as you become stronger and more comfortable with the exercises.
I love the following strength training workouts:
- 10 min Bodyweight Strength with Adrian Williams. (recorded on 8/12/22) Adrian’s Bodyweight Strength classes are great if you don’t have any equipment. These classes use only your own bodyweight to help build strength and tone muscles.
- 20 min Pop Full Body Strength with Robin Arzon (recorded on 18/04/23). The Full Body Strength class incorporates a combination of exercises using weights. The result? All your major muscle groups are worked on during the workout.
Best Peloton rides for weight loss
Peloton is best known for their cycling classes, which are conducted on a stationary bike. Peloton offers a wide range of cycling classes, from beginner-friendly to advanced, with different durations and music genres to suit various preferences. These classes offer a high-energy, engaging experience and can be very effective for weight loss.
My favourite Peloton rides for weight loss are:
1. Power Zone rides.
Power Zone rides will help improve your overall strength and endurance. These rides incorporate various power zones, which are different levels of effort based on your individual fitness level. Each zone is based on personal performance, so the training is suitable for beginners to the very fit. By consistently challenging yourself in these different zones, you can build muscle and burn fat for weight loss.
If you’re new to Power Zone rides, I recommend watching this video:
If you don’t know your power zone, you’ll want to take Matt Wilpers’ 20 min FTP Test Ride (recorded on 4/01/21) to figure it out.
The Power Zone rides I’ve tried and loved are:
- 45 mins Power Zone Endurance 2000s Ride with Matt Wilpers (recorded on 7/12/22). The playlist includes Ne-Yo, Britney Spears and Beyonce.
- Olivia Amato’s 45 min Power Zone Ride (recorded on 12/03/2023). The playlist includes Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber and Beyonce.
- Denis Morton’s 45 min Power Zone Endurance Classic Rock (recorded on 5/03/23). The playlist includes Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac and Aerosmith.
- Christine D’ercole’s 30 min Power Zone Max Ride (recorded on 30/03/23). The playlist includes Beyonce, Alanis Morrisette and AC/DC.
2. Climb rides
These rides simulate climbing hills, which can be highly effective for weight loss. These rides typically involve a slower cadence and higher resistance, helping you build strength and endurance while burning a significant amount of calories.
The climb rides I’ve tried and loved are:
- Mila Lazar’s 30 min Climb Ride (recorded on 16/4/23). The playlist includes the Chainsmokers, Zedd and The Black Eyed Peas
- Cody Rigsby’s 30 min Climb Ride (recorded on 29/02/20). The playlist includes Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa and Britney Spears; and
- Hannah Frankson 30 min Climb Ride (recorded on 18/03/23). The playlist features Justin Bieber, J Balvin, Major Lazer and Gorgon City.
3. Theme rides
Peloton theme rides are cycling classes that are centered around a specific theme or concept like music from a particular genre (such as hip-hop, pop rock or country), artist spotlight rides (focusing on a particular artist or band), movie soundtrack rides and holidays rides (rides for various holidays, such as Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s) and rides centered around fitness challenges (such as power zone challenges, climb challenges, or endurance challenges, where riders can focus on specific goals and track their progress).
While these rides don’t have any special advantages when it comes to weight loss, they are designed to keep the rider interested and entertained, making you forget that you are essentially just pedalling for 30 minutes. They are fun rides, making you want to come back for more and making working out less of a chore.
The theme rides I’ve tried and loved are:
- 20min Mood Ride: Happy with Cody Rigsby (recorded on 27/05/21). This ride is great if you need a dose of positivity and good vibes.
- 30 min Halloween Ride with Cody Rigsby (recorded on 29/10/22). In this ride, Cody tells a story. It feels like you’re in the story or a movie with him. It made the ride fly by.
- 30 min Movie Buff Ride with Kendall Toole (recorded on 1/05/21). This ride features soundtracks and themes from Disney animation movies such as Frozen and the Lion King.
- 30 min Club Bangers Ride with Alex Toussaint (recorded on 16/04/23). This ride features club hits from Busta Rhymes, Usher, J Balvin and Bruno Mars. The whole ride feels like one giant party.
Best Peloton running workouts for weight loss
If running is your preferred form of cardio, Peloton also offers a variety of tread classes that can help you burn calories and lose weight. There are options to suit all fitness levels with classes covering interval training, endurance runs, and more. The classes are led by motivating instructors who guide you through the workout, providing coaching and help you push your limits and achieve your weight loss goals.
The tread classes I’ve enjoyed are:
- 30 min Pop Run with Rebecca Kennedy (recorded on 13/03/23). If you love pop music, you’ll love this class featuring music from Bruno Mars, Christina Aguilera and NSYNC.
- 30 min 80s Run with Andy Speer (recorded on 23/04/23). With a playlist featuring Genesis, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen and Guns N’Roses, this run is awesome for 80s music lovers.
- 30 min Intervals Run with Jess King (recoded on 26/01/22). This intermediate run combines bursts of running hard followed by rest periods.
Concluding thoughts on Peloton and weight loss
Unless you have an incredibly strong willpower, the best Peloton program for weight loss are the ones you enjoy and that will keep you coming back for more. Peloton has an incredibly large catalogue of workouts. So even though I’ve recommended my favourite Peloton classes for weight loss, if you want to lose weight and keep it off, you’re best off trialling a few different instructors and workouts to find the ones that you enjoy and that will keep you coming back for more. Note, that from the app, you can preview the playlist and set of exercises for each workout before committing to one. You can also filter workouts by type, instructor, length difficulty and even music.
Peloton also has a large and supportive online community of users who can provide motivation, accountability, and support. You can join the online community, participate in group workouts, or connect with other Peloton users to stay motivated and encouraged in your weight loss journey.
Courtney has a passion for all things fitness on a budget. She loves home workouts and trying out different fitness gear.